Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Courage


This year my word is courage – The courage to take risks and forge new paths. I find myself at a crossroads in many places in my life, and don’t want the decisions that I make to be shaped by a fear of the unknown (or the voices of others), but by courage and heart (my own inner voice). I appreciate the words of Steve Jobs in the quote below . . .

Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma – which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.
Steve Jobs

"We will forever remember the places in which we've played" (Donald Graves comment from In the Company of Children by Joanne Hindley).  I also promise to remember that I chose teaching because kids are fun.  Even with all of the external pressures pressing down on us, I don't want to forget that we learn best when we are engaged in what we are doing, and what does it mean to be engaged, when all is said and done, engagement, at it's highest level, is about having fun, being interested, igniting passion, loving what we are doing and so I want to always remember to infuse work with a little bit of fun.

1 comment:

  1. Courage is a great word to live by. I love your reminder of how we need to continue to ignite passion and have fun in spite of the external pressures. Yes, that does take courage.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts about this post in the space below.

In Search of Joy

This is perhaps the most challenging year of a 20 year teaching career that I have enjoyed immensely. I find myself in a rut, though. I am h...